Vneeza


If you believe the myth that "models are dumb" then you haven't met Vneeza Ahmed (Vinny). This model is not only beautiful but extremely bright and intelligent. She is also one of the most adored artistes on TV.

Vinny shattered a lot of our stereotypes about the modeling industry in Pakistan. We learned how models there not only have to manage their looks and appearance, but their entire careers with little or no professional training or help.

Most of all, Vinny kept us laughing throughout the interview. She is a spontaneous, fun person with a great sense of humor, that lets her laugh at herself as much as some of the absurd realities that women face while breaking the attitude barrier in the Eastern culture.

Following are some of the highlights of our conversation with Vinny.

Tell us about yourself, where were you born and raised?
I was born in Murree on June 29, 1971. My schooling was in Lahore, Islamabad, and I also studied in Germany and Denmark. I did my senior high school years from Beacon House in Lahore and my undergrad from Kinnaird. By the way, people always misspell my name - it's Vneeza.

When and how did you get into modeling?
I started with a "women only" fashion show at Kinnaird. We got a suit as an incentive to do the show. Then I did a lot of random shows for family and friends, which I don't count in my "professional" modeling career. My first professional shoot was for Generation's InStep - which was also a launch for other new models including Iffat Raheem, Kiran Bokhari, and Afshan. My first big fashion show was for Calzoom in Karachi, where I worked with Amna Haq and Afshan.

What was your family's reaction to your modeling career?
Of course, my mother wasn't happy about my decision to be a professional model, and I'm sure my relatives weren't too happy either. But I was happy with the exposure, opportunities, and the financial rewards of this career. I was enjoying myself and so I persisted. After all these years, I feel that my mother and extended family are all very proud of me.

What's been your best modeling experience?
The best moment has to be when I modeled for Donna Karan in Dubai. I was chosen by Libaas Magazine for this show. It was a really interesting experience - the requirements that international designers impose on what you can and "cannot" wear on the catwalk were quite different from what we are used to wearing. I had to improvise and put my foot down on some of the demands they made on the models. It was a very successful experience and I learned a lot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment