Ali Saleem aka Begum Nawazish


Q: How do you manage to rope in such hot-shot personalities to appear on your show?

A: Initially, it was not difficult at all because my very first guest was Makhdoom Amin Fahim, whom I had known for quite some time. Hence, other politcians also agreed to come on my show. After a few episodes went on air, the show became really popular, and it became easier to rope in high-profile guests. Now a lot of people call in themselves and say, "Do you want us in the show?"

Most of our guests are politicians belonging to opposition parties, who are always looking for an opportunity through which they can communicate with the people and put their viewpoint across. When they come, they talk about more than just politics. I wouldn't really call it a conspiracy, but I feel in the past few years, there has been a systematic effort to tarnish the image of politicans in Pakistan. A lot of people do not want to hear about politics anymore. And because this programme has a certain touch of humour and fun and is entertaining, it has attracted people to watch the show and made politicians eager to come on it.

Q: Are there any personalities who have declined to come on your show?

A: There have been quite a few. Every person has a right to refuse, I have been asked to give various interviews and have refused. I don't hold it against them. If I invite somebody, that is my way of showing them respect. The people I invite are people whom our viewers want to listen to. But if they refuse to come, like Imran Khan and Ghinwa Bhutto, they have their reasons, and I believe that people's choices have to be respected.

Q: You are often outrageous, especially with your male guests. Does it ever lead to awkwardness on the sets or a reprimand from them?

A: Never, ever! Most of my guests have played along and have enjoyed it. There are some very serious things said between the lines in my monologues. Yet, it's all presented as a sugar-coated pill. Therefore, there has been no backlash since day one.

Q: How do you make the more conservative, reserved guests in your show become more forthcoming?

A: 'Conservative' people would probably not agree to appear on my show. All the people who come have seen the show and have some idea as to what they are going to be subjected to. So, they are prepared for the flirtation and outrageousness. And it is this very outrageousness and flirtatiousness, that disarms even the most introverted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment